Sunday 6 January 2013

Shingles...

So after waking up today and realising that the the rash under my arm had got even worse I took action... and looked it up on google. I did find it strange that if it was a reaction to the Azathioprine then why was it only on one side of my body? After typing in 'rash on left side of body' it came up with Shingles. As soon as I think of shingles I think of a really contagious horrible infection, something really dirty and disgusting. If someone told me they had shingles I would definitely stay away! However it actually isn't contagious but can be dangerous for someone who hasn't had chicken pox before.
On the websites I looked at the words Immune System kept coming up which rung alarm bells in my head as the Azathioprine is an immunosuppressant so I have a weakened immune system. It said that for people like this it can be dangerous so I rung NHS direct (I hate doing that they are never very helpful!). After telling me the GP I currently see in Coventry doesn't exist (fairy sure it does) she told me to go to the walk in centre straight away to see a GP. 
So off we went! They were very rude, when I said shingles the receptionist actually looked at the other receptionist and rolled her eyes. It wasn't until I mentioned that I have Crohns that I was taken a little bit more seriously and saw the doctor about an hour after that. He diagnosed shingles straight away and was really shocked that I have had it for so long and haven't been to see anyone about it. It is meant to be very painful and although it does hurt I think I have just got so used to being in pain that I didn't really realise where the pain was coming from.
I've been put on a 7 day course of tablets called Aciclovir which I have to take 5 times a day (bringing my total to 15!) and hopefully it has been caught early enough that it will heal quickly. Here is a horrible picture of it, I think its important to show things like this as they are clearly a part of Crohns for some people. I cant imagine anyone ever finding me attractive ever again but it makes a change from talking about butts!


No comments:

Post a Comment