Wednesday 2 January 2013

Crohns from a Mum's Perspective

I recently asked both my parents what they thought when they were told I had Crohns, this is what my mum had to say...


Hannah and Crohn’s from a mum’s perspective

My daughter Hannah has recently been diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease.  She is 19 years of age and in her second year at Coventry University studying Event Management. 

 She is my eldest child, I also have an 18 year old son who is hoping to go to Uni next year.  Both of my children have sailed through their childhood years with only the usual minor ailments – coughs, colds etc. 

Hannah completed her first year at uni with flying colours, she was happy, healthy and very pleased to have secured a house to live in for herself and 4 friends for their second year at uni.  It was at about this time that she was getting quite bad stomach pains and was duly put on Codeine to control the pain, blood tests were taken which confirmed an inflamed bowel and a hospital appointment came through for December.  After suffering severe sickness one weekend a couple of weeks later she rang me and I advised her to go back to her GP straightaway who took more blood tests, she was now anaemic and had lost a stone in weight.  I felt helpless that she was in Coventry and I was in Bedfordshire, it’s awful to have your daughter crying on the phone to you when normally she is bright and cheerful.  Her GP advised her to attend A&E in Coventry without delay.  Hannah rang me and we took the decision for her to come home and the next day we went to A&E at our local hospital in Stevenage, the Lister, where I work as a medical secretary. 

We saw 3 doctors that day and eventually Hannah was admitted to the ward with a provisional diagnosis of Crohn’s Disease.  It was almost a relief for Hannah to have confirmed what she already suspected, having read up on Crohn’s on the internet, she was displaying the 4 main symptoms.  I had also read up on the disease but somehow I couldn’t get my head around the fact that my normally healthy daughter might actually have quite a debilitating condition. 

Hannah was admitted at 1 am in the morning having been in A&E since just after 9 am the day before, I was almost beside myself with tiredness, exhaustion and worry but Hannah remained calm and cheerful throughout it all knowing that finally she was in the right place and her treatment had started with a saline drip and steroids. 

Myself, Darren and Elliot spent most of that weekend at Hannah’s bedside (in shifts) staying with her for as long as we could.  She was having regular blood tests, intravenous drips, injections for pain relief etc.  She was also taken off her beloved Codeine and the pain was almost unbearable, Paracetamol giving some relief.  It’s not nice to see your daughter suffering in such a way.  The staff on the ward were all marvelous and the weekend passed in a blur of hospital visits, I didn’t really have time to sit down and take in all the implications. 

 Although I did not get to speak to the doctors on the ward, Hannah was kept informed of progress.  She was taken for a colonoscopy the first morning on the ward which confirmed Crohn’s.  As she is 19 she is classed as an adult and so the staff spoke directly to Hannah rather than through us.  At times it was difficult for me to hold back my emotion when you see your daughter in obvious pain.  I was just glad I was there for her to hold her hand, stroke her hair, read to her and keep her spirits up. 

I settled into a routine of popping in to see Hannah before work, at lunchtimes and then after work.  I have been working at the Lister for almost a year, I think Hannah felt comforted by the thought that I was just across the car park and it certainly made visiting so much easier.  My nephew Matt is also a porter at the Lister and he was brilliant popping in to see Hannah whenever he could and making her laugh.

Each day she was improving.  Finally after 5 days Hannah was allowed to come home and Matt wheeled her out in a wheelchair.  Armed with an array of literature and tablets Hannah was just pleased to be home and started her daily concoction of medication.  An MRI Scan and second colonoscopy were booked followed by a follow up appointment in Clinic F. 

We have all had to get used to Hannah being at home on a full time basis and it has been quite a challenge to cook food that is nutritious but which doesn’t give her a flare up.  Hannah has done a lot of research on the internet but I think it was most helpful when we met with the Speciality Nurse in the Clinic who basically went through everything with Hannah.  Dr Khan, Hannah’s consultant, also popped in to say hello and very kindly but firmly told her that she had to own the disease, they could give her the medication but the more she did to help herself and keep a positive attitude, then there was no reason why she should not resume a normal life and go back to uni in the New Year.  Deborah the nurse also gave her a card with contact details and she knows she can contact her at any time if she has a problem.  Her medication has been changed and she is having weekly blood tests. 

Hannah has started a blog, it’s something she can channel her thoughts into and hopefully give advice and help to fellow sufferers.  It seems to be creating a lot of interest and it is lovely to see Hannah with her old spark back.

It’s been a huge learning curve for us all but I am so proud of the way Hannah has dealt with it all.  Our lives will never be the same again but if anyone was going to get Crohn’s then it may as well be Hannah as she has the strength and courage to deal with it in the best way possible. 

It has been amazing the number of people I have spoken to who know of someone who has Crohn’s.  It is far more common than we had realised.  It is also genetic but we have no knowledge of anyone in the immediate family who has suffered with it.  There seems to be a an awful lot of support for the person with the Crohn’s but I, as a parent, have not been offered any support or advice.  I am learning through Hannah how to manage it but sometimes I feel quite inadequate as a mother.  It’s difficult to gauge how much I can do to help or should I simply let Hannah get on with it, after all it’s something she has got to learn to live with.  I can only use my common sense and a mother’s instinct and hope that I get it right.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hannah

    I have stumbled across your blog and also suffer with crohns.

    My names Laura (@Usborne_Beds) live in Sandy,am 27 next month and a mum and am also seen at the Lister but by Dr Sargeant.

    I found out in 2006 when i was at uni so around the same age or stage of life as you, and i've pretty much tried every drug now and believe me had some horrendous side effects.
    It was scary and had a rough few years ending up with surgery in 2008, which left me in remission until late 2009 when i found out i was pregnant. Had a rough pregnancy then was back in hospital twice after birth and had a terrible few flare ups but fingers crossed now i am stable on Pentasa.

    I dont really know anyone who has crohns and dont really get the same symptoms of many other sufferers as i dont have drastic weight loss or D&V i am completelly the opposite as i have narrowings so i end up constipated and bloated a lot which is quite painful at times.

    Sorry for the rambling just wanted to say if you ever fancied talking to anyone i have tried lots of the drugs and have been on azathiaprine before and just thought i'd offer an ear

    Laura#x

    ReplyDelete