Monday 14 January 2013

Food shopping

I get asked a lot about what foods I can eat with Crohns and what I can't so I thought I might share my first food shop since being at uni. I am not a vegetarian so my diet includes lots of meat but I do try and avoid too much dairy (although I love cheese) and the only other things I really avoid are leafy greens, fibrous food and tomatoes. My IBD nurse has told me to avoid fibrous food like brown breads and rices which means that my cupboards are usually stocked with lots of starchy white carbs like spaghetti, pasta, rice and noodles. I can't live without chicken soup at the moment. It's great for when I feel like I need to eat but I'm not particularly hungry for anything. I've also bought some honey which I've had last week with Greek yoghurt and it seems to settle my stomach after a meal and reduce bloating. I may try manuka honey as its in the penny sale at Holland and Barrett. This food shop I also tried to buy more fish, this included tuna, haddock, smoked salmon and cod, most of which was reduced which I have put in the freezer to eat when it's needed. I enjoy fish with noodles and some soy sauce which is a simple meal that doesn't put any pressure on my stomach. I always buy eggs for breakfast and white bread to have with peanut butter if I'm in a rush. I have read that smooth peanut butter is good for Crohns as crunchy is hard to digest but they both include the nutrients from nuts. My freezer also contains some frozen veg like broccoli and sweet corn that I can add to any meals. I'm still unsure if they are good for me but I will still eat them! The most essential part of my shopping has to be the bottle of gin! It's just a shame it's value!




No comments:

Post a Comment