Sunday 24 March 2013

Marie Curie Event

Last week was a big stressful week for the people on my course. We had to host an event for Marie Curie and for us last Thursday was the big day! I thought I would write a little post to show you what we did (and to show that I do actually do some Uni work while I'm in Coventry!) We had a few problems from the start with our event as originally it had been planned as a beauty event at the College but unfortunately they didn't give us enough time and we had to change the whole thing. Our other idea was a quiz night which we decided to hold at the SQ Club which is a working mans club in Coventry. It wasn't much to look at inside but we liked it because it was traditional and big!




Before the event we sold 45 tickets at £2 each but more turned up on the night and we had 15 teams in total. Each team had a maximum of 5 people and it was good to see that most teams did try and get the full 5. We had a student as the quiz master  who was brilliant and really created an atmosphere and a screen set up for the interactive rounds. The room was filled with balloons and Marie Curie leaflets and posters as you can see from the picture above!


We also had a table set up for cakes and raffle prizes. The cakes sold within the first half of the night (we made 90!) and the raffle prizes were a big hit, we managed to sell over 350 tickets! If anyone is putting on a charity event like this I would really recommend going round the local businesses to see if they can donate any prizes. Some companies were really generous and we had prizes from places like Nandos, Paint balling, PureGym and Kasbah nightclub. I also made some of these little origami flowers which were the closest thing to daffodils we could get! 


Overall the night was a big success. Nothing really went wrong and people seemed to have a good night. We made £235 for Marie Curie and raised lots of awareness at the same time. It really reminded me of why I chose to do this course. Its something I enjoy (and I think I'm quite good at it) and gave me more motivation to keep going and explore where I can take my degree.


No comments:

Post a Comment