Tuesday 5 February 2013

10k App

After the not so promising start with the training plan yesterday I decided to try a different route and do as the doctors always say which is 'listen to your body'. Pushing myself too hard, too fast is clearly the wrong way to go and although I want to get running straight away I know its going to take time and will be a slow process. 

I decided to put my iPhone to good use and have a look at the apps available. I came across '10k for Pink' which is free on the app store and is for breast cancer awareness. My run is in 16 weeks and this app is for 14 weeks so it gives me a couple of extra weeks to make sure i'm at the right level and just in case I get ill and cant train there is some spare time! This morning I was up again at 6:30am to meet Lisa, we ran around Earlsdon starting with the 5 minute warm up walk which warmed us up slightly (it was freezing!) The app then told us to start jogging for 90 seconds and then walking for a further 60 alternating for 20 minutes. It did vibrate to let you know when to change but as it was in my pocket I couldn't feel it! I hope that next time if i'm playing music it will pause it to let me know when to go into the next phase. We found this method much easier that constant jogging but both felt like we could have ran more but the gradual increase will be better for our bodies. I already do a lot of walking as it takes around half an hour to walk into Uni from my house so I am used to it which is why I am excited for the next weeks where the jogging increases. The eventual target is to run for 60 minutes which the app says will be 10k!


You can sponsor me for my 10k here! http://www.justgiving.com/Hannah-Isted





No comments:

Post a Comment