As well as giving stuff away you can also collect items that other people offer. If there is something in particular you are looking for you can request a 'wanted' and if someone has that item they can message you. I have picked up a few bits from Freegle including a DVD players, toe rings, craft books, a new pack of nappies and this sauce pump which will be a present for my friend for Christmas. I have told them they will all be getting something free!
To get the most from websites like these I have a few tips:
- Check them regularly. When you sign up you will get lot of emails which you can opt out of but check them as often as you can, especially when you want something in particular.
- Ask for what you want! If you really want it then ask, there have been occasions when we have gone to throw away things because we thought no one wants them but then someone posts a wanted for that exact item!
- Give and Take. On freegle you can see how many 'Offers' and how many 'Wanteds' someone has given. I am much more likely to make the effort to give someone something if they have made offers. You also might find you have something to give each other on collection!
- Have a way to collect. It really helps if you have a car or someone who will take you to get things. If you are looking for something large like a sofa then make sure you have a van to pick it up in!
- Be personal. When replying to someone be nice and explain why you would like the item. If I get more than one reply on something I am far more likely to give it to the person who started a conversation and showed they are going to put the item to good use.